STUDENT ARCHIVES SEARCH
October 21, 2013
WE ARE TEMPORARILY UNABLE TO HONOR ARCHIVES SEARCHES.
Please check back with us during the first week of December. We apologize for any inconvenience.
–––– When we resume archives, seaching, this is the process:
At no cost, we can confirm by e-mail whether a student attended Girard College, and their dates of entry and departure.
We offer a fee-based research service for descendants interested in further information about former Girard College students. This service is primarily designed to assist family genealogists with a former student's home addresses, parents' names, etc.
- For a student who entered Girard before 1910, the search fee is $40.00
- For a student who entered Girard after 1910, the search fee is $50.00
- To search the archives for two siblings is $75.00
- For more than two siblings, the fee will be determined.
Please send e-mail requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We cannot accept cash or credit cards.
Please make check payable to "Girard College" and mail to:
Director of Historic Resources
Girard College #116
2101 South College Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19121-4857
Please note the following restrictions:
- We do not search the records of a living alumnus or alumna, without his/her written permission.
- Due to the time-intensive nature of the archives search process, please allow at least six weeks to receive your reply.
- We begin processing the request when we receive a check made payable to "Girard College." We deposit checks upon their receipt, not at the end of the search.
- No Student Archives Searches occur in July and August; they resume in September. If you are interested in pursuing a Student Archives Search, you may continue to send in requests with checks during the summer months. We log them into our system in order of date received, so requests received during the summer will be the first completed in the fall. Your check is very likely to be deposited before you receive your search results; our financial protocols do not permit us to hold onto a check for more than one month.
- There is no guarantee we will find useful data for a particular individual. For students who entered Girard before 1910, the average search will yield only five pages.
- The fee covers the time of the search and because of the complications of record storage, it takes us the same amount of time to search a scanty as a voluminous record.
- Due to the massive size of many of the student-record ledgers, we are unable to send photocopies of most original documents. We will extract data from the ledgers and enter it into a standard information form.
- The Student Archive Records remain the property of Girard College and are not available to outside researchers.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A TRANSCRIPT, please go to the previous section, labeled "Transcripts and Record Requests."