Home >
About Us > The Chapel & Skinner Organ
Tools :
Girard College email page print page small type large type

ABOUT THE GIRARD COLLEGE CHAPEL

One of our most beautiful buildings, the Chapel was built of Indiana limestone from 1931-33, during the depths of the Great Depression. The architectural firm – Thomas and Martin, well known for its work at The University of Pennsylvania – was selected through a competition.


Despite being a proudly non-denominational school, Girard College has always had a Chapel and has always called it by that seemingly religious term.

The current Chapel was planned with function in mind: it has many exterior doors to get 1,700 boys (the largest number of students thus far) in and out of the building efficiently. Additionally, an ambulatory system of secondary hallways around the entire building allows for circulation of people throughout the building without disturbing those in the center auditorium.

Like a Medieval cathedral, the Chapel is filled with pictures / iconography / images telling stories. Because of the school’s heritage, these images are of many religions. The style is clearly representative of the 1930s, and includes ornate light fixtures and the Greek key pattern appearing in the marble floor, on ceiling, urns and benches.

The Chapel contains the fifth-largest pipe organ and the largest Skinner organ in the city.

To learn more and see more photos, click here to download the Chapel and Organ brochure.


powered by finalsite