Girard College was site for MLK Day & Concert
Posted 01/02/2014 11:35AM
was signature site
for 19th Annual
Martin Luther King
Day of Service
Girard College served as the signature site for the 19th Annual Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service on Monday, January 20, 2014.
For the last several years, the Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service has been the largest in the country, and this year it boasted 1,700 projects throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. The 2014 signature project at Girard College involved the assembling and packing of critically needed basic supplies for certain Philadelphia public schools, including classroom and library books, computers and modems, and college preparation materials.
The event at Girard College also included:
- the annual Kids’ Carnival
- a Community Health and Wellness Fair
- The MLK365 Civic Engagement Expo
- The 3rd Annual Jobs & Opportunity Fair
- The Philadelphia Orchestra's free annual Martin Luther King Jr. Tribute Concert at the Girard College Chapel, at 1:30 p.m.
The concert was held in Girard's historic Chapel, a majestic building that seats 2,500 people. The Chapel was packed, and the appreciative audience listened to orchestral pieces:
- "Fanfare for the Common Man" (Copland)
- "The Bamboula (Rhapsodic Dance) Op. 75" (Coleridge-Taylor)
- "Danzon No. 2" (Márquez)
- "Graciela y Buenos Aires for cello and string" (Bragato)
- "Outburst" (Abels)
- "Adagio for Strings, Op. 11" (Barber)
- "Total Praise" (Smallwood/arr. Williamson)
- "Lift Every Voice and Sing" (Johnson/arr. Carter)
Additionally, the All-City Choir sang "Go Down Moses" (Spiritual/arr. Hailstork).
Read more about the MLK Day of Service ...
To learn more about Girard College, click here.