Extended Day Program (EDP)
The mission of the Girard College Extended Day Program (EDP) is to expose Girard College students to project-based learning opportunities that foster the intellectual, social and physical development of the whole student so that they can be productive citizens in an ever-changing global society.
Core Areas of Focus
- Advanced Learning and Academic Support
- Community Service
- Performing Arts
- 1st Trimester – Connections and Community Service
All students will engage in a community service/service learning project.
- 2nd Trimester – Curriculum and STEM
All students will engage in a hands-on STEM program and/or project.
- 3rd Trimester – Personalization/Expression and Performing Arts
All students will engage in self-expression through a performing arts program and/or project.
- Wellness is consistent throughout all trimesters for 1st- 8th grade.
- Advanced Learning and Academic Support is consistent throughout all trimesters for 7th-12th grades.
The Extended Day Program offerings vary by grade level and core area focus, but the following represent the variety of experiences available at Girard:
- Community Service: PA SPCA
- Community Service: Veterans Multi-Service Center
- Community Service: Project Home
- Community Service: GC Garden
- Community Service: GETS/GCN
- Swimming instruction and fitness
- Girard College Big Brother/ Big Sister program
Lower School Programs
- Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts
- Social Justice and The World Around Me
- Intramurals (Flag Football, Basketball, and Net Sports)
- Ethnic Drumming
- Entrepreneurship classes
- Life Skills classes
- Cooking classes
- Penn Research (Collaboration with the Center of Excellence for Diversity in Health Education and Research at the University of Pennsylvania)
- Mock Trial
- Dual enrollment classes at the Community College of Philadelphia
- ACT/PSAT/SAT Prep and Study Skills classes
If you would like to volunteer or get involved with the Girard College Extended Day Program, please feel free to fill out this form or and/or reach out to Monet Thomas-Anderson, Extended Day Coordinator.